Politech mailing list archives

FC: Was Windows NT responsible for crashing a U.S. Navy ship?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:56:55 -0700

[A lot of folks wanted to weigh in on this (http://www.politechbot.com/p-01321.html). Sorry for the delay. --Declan]

**********

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:59:46 -0500
To: declan () well com
From: David McElroy <David () McElroy net>
Subject: Re: FC: Microsoft representative replies to Windows/aircraft
 carrier   story

I hate to mention the obvious, but if a simple human error -- entering a zero into a database -- can shut down an entire ship, the problem IS the OS that's dumb enough not to be able to deal with that. The real "human error" happened when somebody designed the software so that's possible. And then the second human error happened when somebody at the Navy decided to keep using an OS that has a track record of being that easy to "break."

I'm sure MS's PR people will have SOME answer to that one, too. A fat lot of good it will do us when we're in the middle of a war and ships can't achieve their combat objectives because they're running on software that can't handle human error.