Politech mailing list archives

FC: Rep. Ron Paul column on government privacy, SSNs, census

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 12:03:54 -0400

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2000/tst081400.htm

August 14, 2000
Right to Privacy Too Often Overlooked
by U.S. Rep. Ron Paul

   From time to time, some of my colleagues in the House of
   Representatives claim that the federal government needs the power to
   monitor Americans so it can operate more efficiently. While I do not
   doubt their good intentions, I would remind them that in the United
   States, the people should never be asked to sacrifice their liberties
   to make the job of government a little easier. The government is here
   to protect the freedom of the American people, not to invade their
   privacy in the name of efficient government.

   With that in mind, I have introduced two key pieces of legislation
   aimed at curtailing governmental privacy invasions. The first is the
   "Freedom and Privacy Restoration Act" (HR 220). This bill forbids
   federal or state governments from using your Social Security number
   for purposes not directly related to administering the Social
   Security system. When Social Security was introduced, the American
   people were told that their number would never become a form of
   national identifier. In fact, until the 1970s all Social Security
   cards stated on the back that the card was not an ID card.
   Unfortunately, cards issued today do not contain that same phrase,
   and Congress has been all too eager to expand the use of Social
   Security numbers.

   For example, in 1998 over 200 members of Congress voted to allow
   states to force citizens to produce a Social Security number before
   they could exercise their right to vote. Also, day-to-day private
   business dealings are becoming increasingly difficult without a
   Social Security number. You cannot open a bank account, get married,
   or even obtain a fishing license without disclosing your Social
   Security number. My bill will restore privacy to Americans who
   currently are being abused by overreaching government.

   The other piece of legislation I have introduced is the "Census
   Privacy Act" (HR 4085). This bill will prohibit the Census Bureau
   from collecting any information from citizens except for their name,
   address and the number of people per residence. That is all Congress
   needs for a head count of the population in order to re-draw
   congressional districts every ten years as is required by the
   Constitution.

   I introduced this legislation after scores of calls to my office
   during the recent census process from constituents who thought the
   long forms were too intrusive. There is no reason why the federal
   government needs to know how much money you make or how many
   bathrooms you have in your home. This information is personal and
   private, and I am committed to restoring to Americans the peace of
   mind that comes from knowing that every detail of their lives is not
   being recorded.

   On a more positive note, privacy advocates scored a major victory
   this summer when the House passed an amendment I proposed to an
   appropriations bill that will prohibit the federal government from
   imposing a uniform standard health identifier on the American people.
   As a doctor, I know how important it is to insure patient
   confidentiality, and I am very pleased my colleagues supported the
   amendment. It is the only way to guarantee that national medical IDs
   do not become a reality.

   The other major privacy victory recently was when the federal
   government withdrew proposed Know Your Customer regulations which
   would have forced banks to report practically every customer
   transaction to the government. I was proud to lead the effort on the
   Banking Committee to stop this invasion of privacy with my "Bank
   Secrecy Sunset Act" (HR 518), would have overturned any such
   regulations. Fortunately, the proposal was withdrawn before the
   legislation was needed, but I believe this will be an ongoing battle.
   Those advocating more intrusion by the government will continue their
   legislative efforts, and we must stand ready to face that constant
   threat.