Politech mailing list archives

FC: Intuit's recent privacy snafu (from privacy forum)

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:23:15 -0600

From: "robbin stewart" <gt_bear () hotmail com>
To: declan () well com
Subject: intuit privacy snafu
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 20:29:28 PDT

Hiya. Unless this has already been covered to death, it might be
newsworthy. Robbin
-----------------
Date:    Sat, 25 Sep 99 12:04 PDT
From:    lauren () vortex com (Lauren Weinstein; PRIVACY Forum Moderator)
Subject: Intuit "Shuts Down" Privacy Site After PRIVACY Forum Query
Greetings.  An alert PRIVACY Forum reader recently brought a somewhat
bizarre and certainly ironic situation to my attention.  Intuit (makers of
"Quicken" and other extremely widely-used financial software packages) had a
web site (http://privacy.intuit.com) that presented various information
regarding their privacy policies.
It also included a feature which allowed any registered Intuit customer to
view and alter their "privacy preferences."  This included data such as
whether or not they wished to receive promotional materials from Intuit, how
they should or should not be contacted (e.g. e-mail, phone, etc.), and
whether or not their name and address would be released to outside firms.
To access this feature, the customer needed to supply their last name, zip
code, and ... *nothing else*!  Upon entering any last name and zip code (and
given the number of Intuit customers, a hit would be pretty likely for most
common names) the user would see the associated first name, city, and last
four digits of phone number for that person.  The user could then freely
modify the privacy preferences for that customer.
Needless to say, I immediately expressed my concern over this situation to
Intuit officials.  Within a few days, I was contacted by their VP Corporate
Communications, informing me that the preference access features of the site
had been shut down, and that any users attempting to access them would be
directed to an 800 number.  A live customer service representative would
then
verify their contact information before performing any preferences changes.
Intuit plans to restore the web preferences feature to the site after making
security enhancements, probably within a month or two.
That Intuit responded promptly to my concerns by closing down the feature is
to be commended.  One must still wonder, however, about the chain of events
and review which permitted such an obviously flawed feature to have been
implemented in the first place--it is, unfortunately, an all too common
sort of situation.--Lauren--Lauren Weinsteinlauren () vortex com
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum --- http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy