Politech mailing list archives

FC: MS letter to shareholders: Contact Congress, let us innovate

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:19:57 -0400

http://www.microsoft.com/freedomtoinnovate/shareholders/default.htm

September 16, 1999

 Dear Shareholder

 I am sure you share the commitment that Bill Gates and every one
 of our 30,000 employees have to produce great software that
 helps improve people's lives. I'm proud of Microsoft's role in helping
 create the most innovative and competitive industry in America
 today; an industry that truly is driving America's economy forward
 and making the United States the global leader in technology.

 Our success--and that of the information technology industry as a
 whole--is due in large measure to the entrepreneurial spirit and free
 market economy that has allowed the entire industry to innovate
 rapidly. Unfortunately, this economic environment cannot be taken
 for granted. As you know, there have been recent efforts by our
 competitors to lobby policymakers for more regulation. They are
 pushing for more regulation, litigation and government intervention,
 without recognizing how their actions could choke off innovation
 and threaten the continued vitality of our industry as a whole.

 It is important that our government leaders hear from consumers
 like you about the policies that will affect America's ability to
 continue to lead in the Information Age. We believe consumers
 should decide what products they want to buy, based on quality
 and what best meets their needs. If you agree, I would like to
 invite you to join me--and the thousands of individuals like you who
 have already expressed their support--in this public debate.

 To help make your voice heard, we have created the Freedom to
 Innovate Network at www.microsoft.com/freedomtoinnovate/.
 Regardless of your perspective, this tool will allow you to share
 your views, send a letter or email to your elected officials, and
 receive free updates on important policy issues facing Microsoft
 and the information technology industry. Please take a moment to
 sign up for the Freedom to Innovate Network by clicking on this
 link, or by calling our toll free number at 1-888-642-4097.

 All of us at Microsoft are committed to meeting the exciting
 technological challenges and opportunities ahead. Through hard
 work and dedication we will continue to design innovative and
 affordable products for consumers. I hope you'll consider lending
 your support to policies that will help promote the continued
 success of Microsoft, our industry and America's leadership in the
 information age by joining the Freedom to Innovate Network today.

 Sincerely,

 Robert J. Herbold
 Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer

 P.S. For more information about the FIN and how you can help,
 contact Kim Poysky, the FIN director at msfin () microsoft com.