Politech mailing list archives

FC: UK police to get power to tap e-mail, restrict anonymity

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 00:12:25 -0400

When the DoJ subpoenaed me to testify in a criminal trial where the
defendant, Carl Johnson, had sent me encrypted email
(http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,19145,00.html), my lawyer
advised me to decrypt it in response to government document production
requests. (Initially I gave DoJ just the encrypted message.) But if Carl
had been the one to receive PGP-encrypted email and the prosecution had
found the enciphered version on his hard drive, he would have been able to
raise a Fifth Amendment defense. Or so the theory goes.

-Declan

********