Politech mailing list archives

FC: Update on FBI stomps Y2K movie, from the Village Voice

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:30:57 -0500

**********

From: "hogmore" <hogmore () netzero com>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: Village Voice story
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:51:08 -0500

Declan,
my quick update on the FBI censorship story

Village Voice
Subversive Instinct
By Mark Boal

The FBI has dropped its investigation of Mike Z., the auteur whose pulled
Web site (crowdedtheater.com) became a cause célèbre online after a Voice
story detailed the case of apparent censorship.

Our initial objective in looking into the thing was to determine, not was
this something that might generate fear or panic, but was it something that
was a record of a plan to carry out a riot," says James Margolin, an FBI
spokesperson. Is the site dangerous? "I don't know that that's a law
enforcement issue anymore." says Margolin. "Not everything that is dangerous
or offensive is illegal."

[..]

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/9949/boal.shtml

Mark Boal