Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Choosing an Independent Penetration Testing Firm

From: Justin Rogosky <jrogosky () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 21:30:32 -0500

Well,  I would see if you could get a sample report making sure it isn't
just a nessus report with a cover sheet.  I would check out their client
list (assuming it is on their webpage) to make sure they have some
speciality in your line of business.

A lot of it is up to you too.  You need to make sure you properly define
the scope and are available for them to contact you.  If issues arise,
do you have the resources / contacts to fix them or get the information
to the person who can?

The first thing I would do is to make sure you need a penetration test?
Have you done a vulnerability assessment?  Have you looked at your
security policies and made sure they are up to date and valid (adhered
to may be too much to ask depending on the environment)

Just my 2 cents (3 cents Canadian)

--Justin