Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Best route to penetration testing learning

From: robertwood50 () gmail com
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 09:25:39 -0500

The SANS courses are pretty good in that you will actually be learning useful information, not just information
required to pass a test. Also, for a lot of Security Consultant jobs, either the CISSP or a GIAC cert is required so
this is another reason to get involved with SANS.

In my opinion, books are great but they only get you so far. You only retain the knowledge in a book for so long unless
it is put into practice. For reading I would recommend subscribing to security research and current pen testers blogs
as you will get the most up to date content. When new attacks are posted, try to replicate them yourself inside of a VM
lab, starting to do this will get your hands dirty to start. There are also plenty of challenges out there that can
feed your skills, the more practice you get with these tools and familiarity with different methodologies and attacks
the more you can support what's on your resume.

Also, consider taking a technical writing course, whether a free or local community college one, or whatever. Being a
strong writer is the most important skill of all, at the end of a test no matter how skilled of a tester you are, if
you deliver a bad report then that's all the customer sees. Make sure your resume reflects this skill as well as
communication.

Robert Wood

--Sent from my iPhone.