Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Printer Attacks

From: Marco Ivaldi <raptor () mediaservice net>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 13:35:27 +0100 (ora solare Europa occidentale)

Hi,

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011, The Doctor wrote:

Networked devices can also be a useful cover for hiding equipment smuggled into the target site and hidden in plain view. For example, attaching a wireless access point between the printer and the rest of the LAN often went unnoticed (perfect for sneaking right into the core of the client's network); in a pinch, the excuse "The cable wasn't long enough, so I put in an Ethernet switch and a three foot CAT-6 until we get a longer one," worked. I rather doubt that tucking a netbook behind a networked printer or fax machine with a sticy that reads "PRINT SERVER: DO NOT TOUCH" would still work these days, though.

LOL. Networked printers might also be a good starting point for NAC bypass: sometimes their MAC addresses are considered trusted and might be able to access the corporate network. Also, keep in mind that physical access is always a risk.

While we are at it, I'd like to throw in a couple of interesting references about networked printers hacking:

http://archive.hack.lu/2010/Costin-HackingPrintersForFunAndProfit-slides.pdf
http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/networkprinterhacking
[and much more, just do a Google search]

Cheers,

--
Marco Ivaldi                          OPSA, OPST, OWSE, PCI-ASV
Senior Security Advisor