Penetration Testing mailing list archives

IT Audit vs Pen-Test

From: cribbar <crib.bar () hotmail co uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 06:26:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between an IT Audit and a
Pen-test? Say if the scope of the review was to look at public facing
infrastructure, what would an IT Audit look for that a Pen-Test would not,
and vice versa? Theres another concept I keep hearing about that is an "IT
Healthcheck", how does that differ from the IT Audit or Pen-Test, which does
it more closely resemble, as IT Audit or a Healthcheck? What are the
benefits/limitations of each of these 3?

With Regards