Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Malware URI list

From: Daniel Crowley <dcrowley () coresecurity com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:04:51 -0400

IMO, a test of any antivirus system should include:

1) Several known malware samples.
2) At least one private, custom variation on a piece of malware. (AV
companies will likely rip my head off for suggesting the creation of new
malware, but to use 4chan terminology, this is analogous to "pissing in
an ocean of piss". The problem isn't going to get much worse, especially
if you isolate yourself and wipe the malware after tests.)
3) At least one private, custom piece of malware. (Same rant as above
applies here)
4) A program which could potentially be used for malicious purposes or
legitimate purposes. (One such as netcat or one of its variants, a
silent VNC server installer, etc)

Evaluating detection rate is good, but take this into consideration: An
employee of an AV company who will go unnamed recently told me that his
company had done nothing but update the signatures for its product, not
the heuristics, for the period of two years. This is one of the better
AV products on the market, too.

As a side note, the EICAR test file is a known trigger for antivirus
systems. Detecting or not detecting it is supposed to be an indication
of whether or not your antivirus system is enabled, not whether it's
doing a good job detecting malicious things.

Cheers,
--
dc