Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pentest Criteria

From: Wim Remes <wremes () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 21:54:03 +0200

Pete,

"OSSTMM 3 does exactly that. Currently it's being reviewed to either
include in the ISO27000 series or be its own ISO."

vs

"the "written manual" OSSTMM 3 does not exist yet.
 It is merely a book still being written. "
"it's merely a concept."

can you explain how exactly an ISO committee is reviewing a "written manual" that does not exist yet ? And do you
believe more in the feedback from an ISO committee than from a community
that is working on security in the trenches every single day ?

On another note, OSSTMM 2.2 is even no longer hosted on the ISECOM website. Does it suck THAT hard ?

Look, people engaged in using 2.2 because it was good, it was relevant and it was open.  They could refer their
customers to an open standard, life was good. Companies invested themselves
in using 2.2 because it was worth something.  Then came the promise of 3 and companies invested themselves into a
paywalled document trusting that, by what they saw from 2.2, would kick ass.
They got people trained on a subset of an unexisting manual at full price , they got people contributing to 3 (how many
and how much is only known by you) believing one day the sowing would end
and the reaping could start. More importantly, they believed YOU that 3 would make everything about security different.
They trusted YOU.

What is it you don't get ?
And more importantly, which anti-virus do you run ?

Cheers,

Wim