Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Remote access and automatize user account creation (Windows XP)

From: Shreyas Zare <shreyas () technitium com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 01:03:18 +0530

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:23 PM, <sbesson () ymail com> wrote:

Hello everybody,

One of my client who has great needs in security, is asking me two questions which I wasn't able to answer to :

1. My client is looking for a remote access software (such as VNC) which could allow 2 simultaneous sessions on
Windows XP SP3. Are you aware of any software like this ? Also, which one is the best regarding security ?

2. The support/exploitation IT department has been complaining about having to enter credentials during the
installation of an XP image. They are asking my client to automatize the creation of 2 local accounts w/o having to
enter any credentials.
This means that the credentials used in order to create both account have to be stored somewhere right ? (ie, in a
script). What are the best security practice regarding this ? How to automatize the creation of a ressource (user
account, etc.) which require authentication w/o having to enter password ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

S. AIBI

Hi,

You can use VNC itself by making user to dial a VPN connection first.
This will make the VNC session secure.

And for windows xp installation, I would recommend to use Windows
Deployment Services (WDS) (previously known as Remote Installation
Services). Installation thus can be made totally automated, you will
just need to boot the machine from network. Local user creation then
can be done by executing a VBS WMI script using active directory.

Regards,

--
("The best way to predict the future is to invent it." -- Alan Kay)

Shreyas Zare
Sr. Information Security Researcher
Secfence Technologies
www.secfence.com