Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Firewall rulebase checking tool

From: Scott <opiesan () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:44:48 -0400

Hello Jirka.

I don't know if you're strictly looking for open source tools or not
but there are a few commercial tools I've heard good things about.
Specifically they are:

Tufin
Algosec
Firemon

They all pretty much do the same thing although I've never used any of
them extensively. I believe they're compatible with all the major
firewall vendors (Check Point, Cisco, Juniper, etc.) and probably many
of the smaller ones as well. No clue about support for iptables
though. You'd have to ask them directly about that. Additionally, you
could also consider a professional services/consultant approach to
analyze the rulebase. I know Check Point has a service for this called
SmartUse. It would take longer than running your own tool but likely
costs less and you get the added value of a human consultant providing
their feedback on top of any automated analysis. Hope this helps.

Scott

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Jirka Vejrazka