Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Penetration Testing Services

From: Khalid Lakdawala <k.lakdawala () arbahcapital com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 09:24:28 +0300

Dear,

Kindly note that external penetration test is usually driven by couple of factor ( Compliance, Regulatory, SOX, PCI DSS
etc most probably for financial system / Privacy protection)

If there is no regulatory or compliance requirement within your company and if you don’t have any financial systems/ or
system which holds personal information directly exposed to external network ( Public network), then internal review
will suffice and there won't be any need for external test.

You should note that the internal Auditor understand the RISK and have proper understanding of VA/PT and Application
testing, let me give you brief how can you have some level of comfort if your system are Secures.

Take an example you have web site which collects and Stores personal information from customers and stores this in
backend database.

In such scnerio your internal Audit team should ensure following controls.

1. Security Architecture : Ensuring that the Web system and application / DB are on different segment protected by
firewall
2. Configuration review of Firewalls/ Network devices to ensure only required traffic is permitted from external network
3. System Hardening: Ensure your web server OS and Web components ( IIS/Apache ) is hardened.(including AV and patches)
4. Vulnerability Scan : HERE YOUR NESSUS WILL BE USED
5. Web Application Testing: Here you have to cover some manual and auto test for SQL Injection , CCX, Session
management etc : You can refer OWASP web site for details, most organization atleast cover Top test vulnerability. (
you can use tools like PAROX / BURP/ Metasploit etc)
6. You need to manually review and Harden the backend database ( Oracle/ SQL etc)
7. Review of Audit logs for incidents ( IPS logs, System logs etc)- This is option security control to understand the
past attach pattern.
If your internal Auditor has capability to achieve 80% in each of these then I think it should suffice.

Regards
Khalid - CISO