Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Evaluating Pen Testers

From: Andre Gironda <andreg () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 22:02:08 -0500

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Daniel Kennedy
<danielkennedy74 () gmail com> wrote:
At this point you're resorting to ad hominem attacks or misdirections
At some point either one of us should have de-escalated any arguments
that were thought to be attacks. I never thought I was attacking you,
but certainly you seem to have taken it that way. Or, we could have
kept it off the list. I'm going to delete anything in this thread that
I feel that I have to defend, accept your corrections, and make some
of my own. Hopefully the list gets something out of all of this.

I've been a member of both at various times, but I wasn't talking
about myself I was talking about evaluating a potential penetration
testing partner. I was suggesting that not every capable tester is
necessarily also a member of OWASP.
I think I've met one penetration-tester in my whole life who was a
member of OWASP. Most of the time, it's companies. This particular
individual is his own company, so the lines blur. Note that Gotham
Digital Science is both an OWASP member and CHECK certified (this is
an example for your reference and my amusement).

Why? Isn't an alert box or !exploitable output (especially peer/tool> reviewed) enough for you?
In web application security testing, both of those things are proof of
exploitation, falling under what would count as supplying a proof of
exploitation.
Hooray! I agree, but there are many people out there who do not.

Somehow I'm sure we don't disagree on much. You just seem to be new and I just feel like I'm over-educating you for
free.
A search on linkedin, Google, or whatever takes about two seconds and
saves you from making asinine statements like this one. But if I need
more help I'll be sure to give Gotham Digital Science a call.
I'm really not the expert that I'm making myself out to be, but I am a
B.S. detector. I'm not saying that anything you've said so far is
B.S., but I'm certainly trying to push you to fall on your face if
that's what you want to do. You haven't fallen yet, but you have made
some mistakes.

Such as the fact that your attempts at guessing who I am have failed.

Background check companies (you definitely want one that is listed on napbs.com) are notoriously expensive
Not really, but if you've never been involved in having background
checks done for a company, I could see why someone might think that.
Hah, well I've only been the one that causes the expense of background
checks to go up, but I am familiar with the process. I'd explain, but
no.

Define "usually"? Most people just don't want to be bothered with industry punditry.
Your leadership seems to understand the value of such punditry:
http://www.darkreading.com/security/attacks/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212400450.
Most of the company and researcher names you dropped below also have a
history of understanding basic marketing.
Yeah. I don't work for Brian and never have. This might be bad, but oh
well. I never said that I did -- you just assumed. Sorry to all
involved.

Doesn't sound like you read it to me,
Forrester corporate memberships are a great thing.
Yeah. I learned about that paper from my past. I delete old files that
I shouldn't have access to anymore, so I couldn't even tell you what
the paper said. Was Gotham Digital Science in there, but Praetorian
not? Oh no! I'm so sorry -- I've heard good things about Nathan
Sportsman, and certainly I'll have nice things to say about you from
now on as well (you did beat me pretty fair and square in this little
argument/discussion even though you guessed a whole bunch of things
about me wrong. I have to look up to that).

Oh and just as a final jab, I hope you keep your CEH skills current.
(that's for the mailing-lists enjoyment, btw)

Cheers,
Andre