Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Weird Nmap Behavior

From: yaroslav <ambivalenced () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:26:51 +0400

Hi arvind.

from little research with tcpdump and nmap 4.85 it seems like
standart nmap behaviour, I think, taking into account that -PN switch
was specified. this is the cause that nmap threat all hosts alive
_except_ LAN. When you're scanning host in the LAN, firstly ARP
request issued to obtain ethernet-address of host in question. and if
it fails - host marked as down. In case of WAN you can not get any ARP
responces, thereby you (well...nmap) has nothing more than assume host
alive.
to deal with this, read nmap man page, section "HOST DISCOVERY". there
are some advices to deal with different situations, some may be
applicable to you.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 9:38 PM, arvind doraiswamy