Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Encryption - Kerberos

From: "Edd Burgess" <edd.burgess () cantab net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:24:36 -0000 (UTC)

It might also be worth noting that Kerberos is not itself an encryption
method. Kerberos is an identity authentication protocol defined by a
series of messages, it is built upon hash and cipher function primitives.

When a ciphertext is passed over a network or a key exchange of some kind
occurs, the network stack ensures end to end integrity in a variety of
ways, so the decryption which happens high up the stack in the
presentation layer can assume the values it is working with are what were
sent to it - whether or not they are correct is not the business of the
encryption layer, if you see what I mean.

-Edd