Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Type Fingerprinting

From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () chrisbrenton org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 05:50:56 -0500

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 16:09 +0700, Zaki Akhmad wrote:
Hello,

Can we do firewall type fingerprinting? With what tools? I want to
know the type of the firewall in front of the web server.

If you know what to look for, absolutely. I have yet to see an automated
tool beyond what I've scripted myself. Check out question 13 below as
well as the answer, I've documented a portion of the process:

http://www.chrisbrenton.org/2009/07/test-your-network-security-skills/

Thought about releasing this as a tool but the potential is a bit
scary. ;-)

HTH,
Chris
--