Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Formal audit background for the penetration tester?

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 02:33:39 -0430

On Sábado 30 Mayo 2009 08:47:47 Stephen Mullins escribió:
I think that this is a huge growth area in IT due to regulatory
compliance issues for private sector organizations such as hospitals.
I think that much of the work is and will continue to be travel
oriented, but that it pays better than your typical 9 to 5 in an
office somewhere.

The trend is just as you describe, the government is creating
legislation that will force organizations to do annual audits.  I
think this creates an environment in which the "technical skills" you
describe are less valuable than the Information
Assurance/Certification and Accreditation skills demanded for
compliance.

I imagine the transition would be fairly easy, provided you have some
"people skills" and good written communication abilities to go along
with your technical skills.

I agree, legislation will request for a formal audit, not for a simple
pentesting.

Some other legislations in another countries, force banks to make anually
pentesting, not a formal audit.

The Reason: the budget for "IT Security" in this countries is too short.

I have a question:

What master, phd, specializations and certifications on information security
are recommended for the next years?

Steve