Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Scan

From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () chrisbrenton org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:48:08 -0400

Greets,

Actually, I believe Fydor dropped the Echo-Request probe in 4.x. nmap
simply hits TCP/80 with a SYN or ACK, depending on the version. Either
way, don't think this is nmap getting confused as hping produces similar
results and it never probes first.

IPv7,

Try setting some TCP options. Little trick I use with many clients (if
they are willing to run an open source firewall) is to filter out all
packets where the TCP header is 20 bytes. Every modern OS uses some
number of TCP options. The only time you see no options set is SYN
floods or port scanning.

HTH,