Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Opne ports 1863 & 5910 - pentest

From: "Andrew Kuriger" <a.kuriger () liquidphlux com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 14:07:42 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Tom,

Port 1863 is most commonly used for MSN Messenger (Using UDP) and VNC
Server uses port 5910 (Using TCP). My guess would be that the company
you are pen testing is using MSN messenger for collaboration and VNC for
desktop assistance.

You stated these are public IPs and the above would be an extremely bad
idea to have the above ports open on the public facing side (Due to vuln
in MSN and brute force attacks on VNC and possible VNC vulns). IMO this
is fairly uncommon as most companies either use NAT or firewall so these
ports are not public facing.

I would be worried, but then again I have always been paranoid.

~Andrew