Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Using 0days as part of pen-test?

From: ArcSighter Elite <arcsighter () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:53:32 -0500

Aarón Mizrachi wrote:
On pentesting there is no more one or zero (penetrated or not penetrated), you
must also include non-success attemps and the risk evaluation of everything
that you see, including "future vulnerabilities". That could help you to make
a better security plan.

Just imagine that you are a auditor and you dont know this vuln (and many
others). Your objetive is to protect the system against known and unknown
vulnerabilities... That could be reached even if you dont know about new zero
days. You may use confined enviroments, network perimeter, user policies,
assuming that every service is potentially vulnerable.

I dont know the license of this ftp software, and how you have discovered that
vuln. I think that you must follow the legal way to disclose the vuln (inform
to vendor, wait, and disclose). Until you done the disclose you can't DOCUMENT
this vulnerability on any pentesting...

But, document it doesnt mean "use it"... I agree to use this vuln on
pentesting.

Why?
_____
Every service have unknown vulnerabilities and zero days in third party hands,
then a weak system aren't only a system that have known vulns, the system must
have extra protections and containters for every service provided... specially
if this is a public service.

The pentesting need to have well documentend and reproducible scenario... ?

That is a good premise for common tech documentation, but, ethically you can't
release any further information of the vulnerability until you complete the
disclosure proccess (it's a delay, sometimes unacceptable delay).

Personally i think that you can release the document without detailed
information about explotation of that particular service, including a promise
of document upgrade when the disclosure proccess ends. Then you can focus the
protection view and weakness evaluation on general service hardening "howto"
(networking permiter, user perimeter, enviroment perimeter, stack protection,
crypto, etc)...

Sorry if my post led to misunderstands, but I've been around pen-testing
for quite a while. Of course, I'm doing a security audit as you probably
are accustomed to do.
What was interesting, and maybe I didn't gave enough importance in my
post, it's that the fact I was dubious about was the responsible and the
ethical issues with the company that requested the pen-test, and the
vendor of the vulnerable software. That's what I asked, and reading your
post some are useful but others assume that I didn't audited properly,
which isn't the case.

Aaron's reply pointed something that was my initial feeling, where he says:

"I dont know the license of this ftp software, and how you have
discovered that vuln. I think that you must follow the legal way to
disclose the vuln (inform to vendor, wait, and disclose)." - already
done, they've based a time-line for releasing a patch -.
"Until you done the disclose you can't DOCUMENT this vulnerability on
any pentesting..."

That's what initially made me post, sorry if I haven't putted this way,
but that's what I'm talking about.

As a said, in the meantime I provided them with updated IDS signatures,
and recommended to switch to another ftp server; based on the fact is
not a very hard service to replace.

Sincerely.