Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: To go to University - For the CISSP etc. - Good idea/Bad idea???

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:16:03 -0430

On Viernes 07 Agosto 2009 07:43:39 Leandro Quibem Magnabosco escribió:
Adriel T. Desautels wrote:
Bill gates doesn't have a degree.

On Aug 6, 2009, at 3:11 PM, James Copeland wrote:

Neither does the president of Brazil, for instance.
But how many of those cases you know or heard of?

They are exceptions, not a rule.

I'm not sure about that... I hold a P.E. Degree in Computer Science. But, I've
seen a lot of undergraduate people working very well on infosec. Moreover, i
worked on infosec years ago before my graduation date. wasn't a big deal. And
moreover, time ago (undergrad also) i established a company on infosec.

I mean, Is not a rare exception.

IMO, the best choice for someone who's really starting is NOT to get
certified on anything right away.
First you have to decide what you love because (again, IMO) any tech job
is about love.
If you don't love security you WILL NOT be a good professional at it.
Honestly, I don't know a single security Professional that don't love
what they do and most of them are self taught because of that love.

Agree.

Study hard, get graduated and only then decide to what direction you
want to follow.
I always thought I wanted to be a programmer and now I work with
networking and security and love it
The first succeed factor on Infosec is: "be skilled and love infosec".

A degree is preferred on works because you will understand many things that
you won't learn on certifications, by the nature of the certifications of
course; If you study for a certification you won't learn how to code a program
or script, and moreover, in a penetration test, is needed to code some
processes to be succeed.

And, also maths and statistics are required sometimes. Some of statistics
could help you to determine if some attack will be reliable or not. Therefore
you will save time and money...

With a degree you will going to understand many things clearly: from coding,
to system information theory and also maths (important!). But a degree is not
a white card. Many "non skilled on security" people get a degree those days. A
degree does not say anything about your skills on infosec. A certification,
training and experience actually does.

My conclusion:

1- Skills and love infosec are required.
2- Experience and training is required. _climb_
3- Degree is preferred to be a good professional and understand well
everything.
4- Certification will say to others that you have the knowledge in a certain
area (not the skills). You may have the knowledge, but the certification will
say it to others.

----------------

*Leandro Quibem Magnabosco
Consultor de TI
(48) 3251-5323
*leandro.magnabosco () fcdl-sc org br
<mailto:leandro.magnabosco () fcdl-sc org br>
www.fcdl-sc.org.br <http://www.fcdl-sc.org.br>
Rua: Rafael Bandeira, 41
CEP. 88015-450  Florianópolis - SC

"Este é um e-mail oriundo da Federação das Câmaras de Dirigentes
Lojistas de Santa Catarina, e seu conteúdo é confidencial e destinado
exclusivamente a seu(s) destinatário(s), não podendo ser copiado ou
repassado,no todo ou em parte, a terceiros. Se esta mensagem foi-lhe
enviada por engano, pedimos o obséquio de entrar em contato conosco.
This is an e-mail from the Federação das Câmaras de Dirigentes Lojistas
de Santa Catarina and its contents are privileged and confidential to
the ordinary user(s) of the e-mail address(es) to which it was
addressed, and no one else may copy or forward all or any of it in any
form. If this e-mail was sent to you in error, please contact us."

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can
actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT and CEPT certs require a
full practical examination in order to become certified.

http://www.iacertification.org

--
Ing. Aaron G. Mizrachi P.

http://www.unmanarc.com