Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: How to create a penetration test lab

From: Derek Fountain <derekfountain () yahoo co uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:35:16 +0100

What I want to learn is shell coding, I have some background in
assembler from my time working with mainframes. Can anyone think of
anything I should add? Suggestions on the best way to start? I have a
couple of books that I'm using as a reference.

Have a look at Metasploit - there's loads of very well written shellcode goodness in there. Pick out a few of the vulnerabilities it exploits, install the vulnerable software and learn how the attack tool works. Try out the different shellcode payloads and get some experience in choosing the right one.