Penetration Testing mailing list archives

TLS with mutual authentication

From: Andy Deweirt <andy.deweirt () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:25:18 +0200

All,

I'm doing some security tests with a reverse proxy which performs
mutual authentication using certificates. When sniffing the traffic I
see something disturbing:
I see the Client Hello, Server Hello, server sending his certificate
and requesting the certificate from the client
In that last request I can see the server sending a list of all client
certificates that the server trusts:

Handshake Protocol: Certificate Request
 Handshake Type: Certificate Request (13)
 Length: 644
 Certificate types count: 2
 +Certificate types (2 types)
   ... [the two types]
 Distinguished Names Length: 639
 +Distinguished Names (639 bytes)
   ... [list of client certificates]

Is that normal TLS v1 behavior? Is it normal that the server sends out
client certificates? Should I worry about the security?

Kind regards,
Andy