Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: setting up a lab

From: "Shenk, Jerry A" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:02:23 -0400

One thing that I personally like is having a bunch of drives with
different operating systems.  For the testing you're talking about, 20
gig drives would be fine....even some 10 gig drives.  5 gigs is a little
small but they would work in some cases as well....particular for
workstations and older servers.

What you can do is start with a basic install of a particular OS (lets
say W2003 server) and then image the drive and apply patches to the
copy.  At this point, you'll have two drives with this OS.  Now, you can
try things like the RPC DNS exploit on the original drive (vulnerable)
and on the fully patched version (not vulnerable).  You'll want to get a
label machine and lay out some good documentation.  I record how the
drive was initially set up and what patches and applications were
applied.  So, in this example, I'd record that drive TEST1 was a W2003
Std Server.  Then drive TEST2 would be "drive TEST1 with all current
patches as of 9/8/2008".  Now, in practice, I would NOT jump straight
from the drive TEST1 to a fully patched OS in one shot....I'd want as
many interim stops as I could get.

You'll notice that I didn't just label the drive 1 but TEST1.  In this
case, TEST is the name of a machine.  This is assuming that eventually
you'll have more than one test box.

Now, to make the images, I use dd.  This command-line will work if you
are using IDE drives and you have two IDE channels and the original
drive is the first IDE drive on one channel with the CD-Rom drive also
on that channel.  And, the destination is the first IDE drive on the 2nd
channel.  (Using the channels like this is handy 'cuz it avoids the need
to play with jumpers).

--dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=4096

And, there are MANY variations of this!!;)

Good luck - setting up a lab is a GREAT idea!