Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: White box pentesting

From: Joey Peloquin <joeyp () cotse net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:45:32 -0500

Zack Payton wrote:

> In my experience, companies usually already know that physical security and susceptibility to social engineering are their weak spots, and aren't interested in paying us to tell them what they already know.

But at the same time, things like white hat phishing campaigns against staff can be an easy way to measure the effectiveness of security awareness training... Clients like get some metrics regarding the effectiveness of security training. It helps the suits to know where to spend their money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against the necessity and validity of these kinds of tests, but rather explaining that *we* aren't normally successful in getting the client to include them in the scope. We offer every single time, and recommend they include the tests for the very reasons you give.

Maybe 1 in 15 or 20 take us up on it.  Far too few IMO.