Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Mitigate FTP

From: "ॐ aditya mukadam ॐ" <aditya.mukadam () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:33:14 +0530

Sarah Wahl <scwahl () gmail com> wrote:

  They have been seeing attacks which are most likely
coming from one person.  The attacker is using four different IPs
(ARIN shows them to be coming from mexico, canada and the US) with the
same brute force attack.
The  attacker can't get through the firewall, so no damage so far.

The above two statements from your email are quite interesting. Some
clarification is needed to provide some suggestions/mitigation.

 If firewall blocks FTP (using normal ACLs)  then bruteforce is not
ideally possible because attacker won't get prompted for username/
password. What are the restrictions on the firewall for FTP ? Can you
clarify if the firewall is blocking this because its detecting a brute
force (higher end firewalls can detect) ? Alternately, how do we know
that the attacker is trying to brute force and where do we see those
logs (FTP server or Firewall) ?

Thanks,
Aditya Govind Mukadam