Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: OSCP

From: "J. Oquendo" <sil () infiltrated net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:32:18 -0600

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Michael Condon wrote:

"wHaT to0L dO I yEwS" is an understandable question, considering that
"some" CEH training covers tools that honestly aren't that good, or are
outdated.
And if one program reports an OS detection of a router and another reports
Apache/probably running on Linux, it's not legitimate empirically to report
just one result. Gut feelings/experience can't be scientifically replicated.
And some of the software out there that is not free/open source is really
not too good either.

"wHaT to0L dO I yEwS"

It's the question I often ignore or answer with an educational
rambling of "What is the purpose of you using it, what are you
trying to achieve". C|EH training is what you make of it. Me,
I prefer to use common system tools whenever possible, the
footprint is invisibile.

Instead of giving people advice on tools when I see these
sorts of questions, I try my best to have them understand the
scope of what they're doing. For those who've been on this
list and perhaps read my ramblings, I'm all for using one's
own knowledge of a system or a protocol way before I'd even
recommend any specific tool. It's my view that I won't
always have any specific tool, then what? I improvise all
the time and I've found that I've obtained better results
this way time and time again.

For me the reliance on any specific tool without checking
things out on my own would be cheating the client of
performing a realistic test for one, secondly I'd be
cheating myself by not learning alternative measures.
One would be surprised at the uses of curl, LWP, etc.
So while one may criticize EC-Council's use of a
billion tools (and I've done so myself) one has to
also take a look at why they'd shove ten redundant
scanners down one's throat. I don't agree with it at
all, I say they should also focus on a "Tai Chi" like
approach as well - using the system against itself,
that's just my POV.

J. Oquendo
SGFA, SGFE, C|EH, CNDA, CHFI, OSCP

"Each player must accept the cards life deals him
or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone
must decide how to play the cards in order to win
the game." Voltaire

227C 5D35 7DCB 0893 95AA  4771 1DCE 1FD1 5CCD 6B5E
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5CCD6B5E