Penetration Testing mailing list archives

nessus returning an empty report

From: "Robin Wood" <dninja () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:26:24 +0000

Hi
I've just installed nessus on a new machine and when I try to scan a
target I always get back an empty report message. I've got wireshark
running and no traffic gets sent from the scanner so the standard
answer to this problem of it being a ping issue doesn't help here.
Extra to that, the machines I've tried scanning are on my local
network, all respond to pings and are are up and not firewalled in any
way that would stop nessus at least finding them.

I had this problem with another machine ages ago and it turned out to
be a kernel module that I was missing. I've tried googling to find the
fix that I found last time but I can't find it.

Can anyone help? The server is running on an Archlinux distro if that helps.

Robin