Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: How do VA scans work technically

From: HITESH PATEL <hitesh50 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 18:04:03 -0700 (PDT)

vulnerability scanners are signature-based automated scanners (just like signature based anti-virus softwares) which
throws the vulnerability attack against the system based on the type of the target system (or sometimes you can run
blind scan also). This is also one of the main reasons that such scanners can have lots of false-positives. These
scanners can be very handy to find already known issues as well as low hanging fruits but in my opinion it will never
replace human-based penetration testing. These scanners will find issue only if it has vulnerability signature in its
DB.

Also the scanners you have mentioned is broad scanners which tries to cover broad range of systems. more targetted
scanners like web-application scanners (e.g. AppScan or WebInspect) does more targetted scanning (e.g. HTTP protocols).

My suggestion is do not confuse between "automated signature based vulnerability scanning" and true "white(or black)
box manual(an automated) penetration testing". Both has different scope. I know you didn't ask for this suggestion but
I come across a lot of such misunderstanding and hence just added my $0.02.

-Hitesh