Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Volatile Worm

From: Kish Pent <kish_pent () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 06:31:48 -0800 (PST)

Hey p1g,

You're not the only one who's hesitant to do so, lot
of pen-testers are ... it really depends on the scope
laid out basically, and Rafael's concept of volatile
worm is not something new. You guys might have to
check out Dave Aitel's presentation called Nematodes.
It's a different vantage point for everyone in
different situations and I have to say, Dave's idea
during his period was nice. I think he presented in 05
he updated it around 2006 iirc, given below is the
resources section of ImmunitySec.

The idea of using botnet, worm, trojans, and malicious
code on client networks is best avoided to spare
downtime, but if you know how to use them carefully,
it's equally a good idea to test their AV / Firewall
and other defenses, after all that's what a pen-tester
is supposed to simulate (a real attack). There are two
ways to looking at it, and as mentioned earlier it
depends on the scope. Basically, Rafael's point is to
use it like a automated tool to pwn boxes, and Dave's
idea to just assess, and patch using a beneficial
worm.

Cheers,
Kish

--- p1g <killfactory () gmail com> wrote:

Am i only one that is hesitant to execute a worm on
a customers network?

I noticed that no one has replied.

On 2/11/08, Rafael Silva <listas () geekworld com br>