Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Social Engineering - information disclosing by phone

From: jc <antihacker.jc () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:17:56 -0800

On Dec 24, 2008, at 12:34 PM, Taras P. Ivashchenko wrote:

Hello, list!

What do you thing about such step of pentest as information disclosing by phone?
Yes, of course everybody watched "Hackers" with Jolie

What red-blooded male mammal could forget Jolie? Seriously now? While I can't speak for anyone else, I do know that my body aches to make child's with her...

and Miller and remember moment
when when some security officer told number of modem by telephone.
But it's cinema and what about real life?

In real life, you get the girl who lives with a lot of cats.

In Penetration Testing Framework [1] we can read:
Scenarios
IT Department.
"Hi, it's Zoe from the helpdesk. I am doing a security audit of the network and I need to re-synchronise the Active Directory usernames and passwords. This is so that your logon process in the morning receives no undue delays" If you are calling from a mobile number, explain that the helpdesk has been
issued a mobile phone for 'on call' personnel.

Remember, less is more. The more explaining you have to do, the greater propensity to screw it up. Why not take the phn # out of the equation by spoofing the caller ID? On sanctioned, Full-Oink SE tests, this is but one of the many tools in my black bag.

Results

Contact Details
- Name
- Phone number
- Email
- Room number
- Department
- Role

Don't forget to do DD before the test, like simple ref. search for people in the org. Find out their corp. email naming convention...Exchange usually uses one kind, etc. Fire off some earnest emails, but use a service like ReadNotify (or roll-ur-own with self-code) to garner info about their internal ntwk. structure, who they passed the message to,
how long they read it, etc...

[1] http://www.vulnerabilityassessment.co.uk/Penetration Test.html

What in your opinion we can take (in pentest) from such method of S.E.?

It's one of many methods. It usually doesn't work like the movies, i.e., unless the target has less brain power than, let's say, a school of plankton. Or Sea-Monkey's! Sea Monkey's!

Does anybody knows Mitnick here? Please, call him =)

Yeah, I'd like to know too, he still owes me $25 from 1985.

-jc