Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Port 4662 exploitation

From: ArcSighter Elite <arcsighter () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:40:00 -0500

sr. wrote:
try to browse to that port with a browser.

throw the telnet prompt a GET HTTP/1.0 and see what you get back. if
you get html, then it's most likely a web server.

i've seen many instances where a server (firewall) will throw back a
bunch of open ports. ports that aren't even open on the system in
question. That host is usually sitting behind a firewall or an IPS. Of
course, the possibility that those ports are actually open because of
a careless admin also exists. let's not rule out a honeypot either.

also, verify that port 22 is actually open by telnet(ing) there as
well. sshd will usually send back a nice little version banner. use
that information and check that version for known exploits. then learn
how to run a script from a real shell because you'll have to.

sr.
<saving bandwidth>