Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: web app pentest report

From: Jason <securitux () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 23:44:15 -0700

I don't have a template however the report must have the standards. At
the basic level, exec summary, breakdown of areas assessed as per
OWASP with the number of issues found in each as kind of a summary,
and then detailed list. Here's the key, and one which will make a
difference... for each issue outline 1) the issue, 2) an example with
explanation, and 3) HOW TO FIX THE ISSUE!! You would not believe what
comes out of some companies which give no explanation on how to remedy
an issue, just what the issue is and some link to a reference. When I
tell my clients how to fix the issue, they love the report because
apparently they don't ever get that from other larger firms.. I ask
them what are they paying for then?

Look also at the report standard for OSSTMM. That's a good guide as to
how a report should look. Alter it around for an app assessment.

-J