Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Good advice: Learn Assembly

From: John Vill <kalookalaa () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:44:17 -0400

You never had to learn assembly.  It is no different now than it used to be.  If you do not learn assembly your
creative potential will be seriously blunted and you will never be on the cutting edge.  In other words you will always
be relying on the work of others.  Assembly is powerful enough that it will grant you the independence to work by your
imagination and carry out your own ideas.  However, fuzzers and python POCs don't fit into these categories at all.
The bottom line is, if you do not learn assembly you are blocking yourself out to an entire world of the computer
security field where the truly creative work.  Assembly is actually an easy language to learn but hard to master, I
suggest "The Art of Assembly".