Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Extreme Networks password hash

From: Marco Ivaldi <raptor () mediaservice net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:32:22 +0200 (ora solare Europa occidentale)

Alexander,

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Alexander Sandstr?m Krantz A wrote:

Hi! I'm interested in finding out what kind of hash Extremeware (v 7.7) uses to encrypt user passwords. The reason is that I'm trying to find out how to perform a (dictionary or bruteforce) password attack against an Extreme Networks switch. I could use Medusa or THC-Hydra to perform a remote attack, but I would like to avoid it if it's not necessary because of the performance drawbacks.

[snip]

Does anyone know about the kind of hash used, or recognize the ones in the configuration? If you do, would you happen to know any tool that can perform an attack against this kind of hash?

They are FreeBSD-style MD5-based hashes, as implemented by most modern Linux distributions:

root@pandora:/opt/cracking/john_jumbo# cat /root/extreme.pwd
admin:$1$452tVo$nEbHpfJFTUGyBrqmtY8q3.
user:$1$yN/tVo$ARBcY8KlQBq.lvJg2nc5F.
root@pandora:/opt/cracking/john_jumbo# ./john /root/extreme.pwd
Loaded 2 password hashes with 2 different salts (FreeBSD MD5 [32/32])
                 (admin)
                 (user)
guesses: 2  time: 0:00:00:00 100% (2)  c/s: 5180  trying:
root@pandora:/opt/cracking/john_jumbo# ./john -show /root/extreme.pwd
admin:
user:

2 password hashes cracked, 0 left

To crack them, just prepend them with the string "$1$" (see crypt(3) for more details) and run your favorite password cracker, such as John the Ripper:

http://www.openwall.com/john/

Ciao,

--
Marco Ivaldi, OPST
Red Team Coordinator      Data Security Division