Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Password Auditing

From: Christine Kronberg <seeker () shalla de>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 09:45:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 May 2007, Mike Gibson wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good password auditing tool. Basically I want
to identify weak passwords on my servers (Windows, Linux, Unix).
Ideally this would be done by a tool that could remotely fetch the
local password database and then attempt to brute force the passwords
and prepare a report in a central location.

Any suggestions?

  I just did something similar for a customer. Basically I used
  john plus a dictionary and some handwork to create a reporting
  script. It was not a all-in-one solution but therefore had some
  more flexibility. Once you defined the specs you are looking
  for such a reporting script is easily written.
  Depending on what you define as "weak" using rainbow tables may
  serve your purpose better.

  Cheers,

  Christine Kronberg.