Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Legality of WEP Cracking

From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 06:29:27 -0500

Actually, in some states, such as Florida, capturing ("sniffing") packets is illegal based on its *intent*; the intent,
unless you are performing this on your own wireless network, is to either illegally connect, or utilize any captured
information in a subversive manner.  This was pointed out to me at a cybercrime conference last year by an FDLE officer
(Florida Status 815.06 under the Florida Computer Crime Act of 1988).  I was demonstrating that the hotel had several
networks that were wide open (not initially realizing that he was a police officer), demonstrating that both businesses
and individuals alike, were overly-trusting about their computer networks.  Nonetheless, it was an interesting
conference.

So although -- at a federal level (within the United States) -- it may not be illegal to perform packet capturing on
wireless networks, it *may* be at local or states (provincial) levels, such as the case with the State of Florida
(http://www.clas.ufl.edu/docs/flcrimes/section2_1_1.html).  I believe that there are several other states which have
similar laws, which -- if caught -- carry a stiff penalty.  California is one of 'em (see also:
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/412).

Hope this helps...

-rad

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an attorney at law, nor do I represent any such organizations providing any legal advise; if you
are unsure of your actions, please contact your local law enforcement office, regional FBI office, or an attorney.