Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: OpenAir pen-testing

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:42:06 -1000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
To: "Aaron Peterson" <aaron () midnightresearch com>
Cc: <pen-test () securityfocus com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:06 AM
Subject: Re: OpenAir pen-testing

Does anyone have any experience with pen-testing or general security
setup/issues of any "OpenAir" wireless devices?  It appears to be a
pre-802.11 wlan protocol from proxim.

It's actually not pre-802.11.  It's nothing like it.  It's FHSS
(frequency hopping spread spectrum), while 802.11 (and its precursor
WaveLAN) are DSSS (direct sequence).

You you will need special hardware to test this network.  Proxim made
RangeLAN2 PCMCIA cards that work with Win2K and Linux.  (They probably
work fine with XP also, but I've never tried.)  Last time I tried,
Knoppix came with the rl2 driver and loaded with my card just fine.
[snip]

Raylink also made an inexpensive Frequency Hopper PCM card as I recall.

--Michael