Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Advanced Network Infrastructure Assessment Questions....

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 14:22:14 -0700

Excellent reply Pete. As a moderator it makes my day when detailed responses
like this are submitted. :)

In my experience the most time consuming task is the audit and enumeration
rules/ACL's etc of network devices. There are several tools out there in the
Risk Assessment/Audit market which can help to expedite this portion (Cisco,
SkyBox, Red Seal, etc). I've some experience on these tools and Red Seal is
the only one (AFAIK) that offers a engagement or consulting-based solution
which sounds like it would fit your needs. Grab the configs of the
firewalls, routers, switches etc and it will build you a nice map and risk
analysis which should help grab the low hanging fruit. It always nice to
have a quick and easy way to show a client that if they change foo at X how
it affects bar at Y and tools like Red Seal's allow a simple visual
representation which easily translates to non-techs.

As Pete mentions though, that part is only the beginning and the OSSTMM
controls are a great guideline to follow to sniff out the non-obvious risks.

--
Erin Carroll
Moderator