Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: CEH Books

From: "Peter Manis" <manis () digital39 com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:19:22 -0400

I agree as well, which is one reason I picked the OSCP before the CEH.
To pass the OSCP I need to actually perform an attack on a machine.
Of course this is not equal to real world experience, but as a start
towards moving to security I felt HR may look at my resume and have
interest in hiring me as an entry level tester because I have proven I
can apply the knowledge I have learned vs just memorizing nmap
switches and port numbers (not that the exam doesn't cover more).

When I watched a few videos of CEH and read through the material on
the exam it seemed the CEH was more like the first few classes at med
school (from what I've heard), you have to memorize a bunch of names,
functions, and instruments, but it isn't until later that you get to
break out the tools and apply that knowledge.

 - Pete