Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Can we say Back|Track best CD for a Penetration Test

From: Seth Fogie <seth () fogieonline com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 21:23:10 -0400

I would like to provide a few comments on this...

From a wireless perspective, many of the wireless tools included with BackTrack2 require a bit of tweaking to get working (airoscript [font issues]/wicrawl [dhcpcd vs dhclient]/airpwn [lorcon needs installed - included in airpwn folder - but those drivers are older and some function no longer valid for other programs]/hostap [rmmod-modprod issues]). In other words, wifisec from BT2 is not your new users best solution. However, I would say that BT2 + Auditor as LiveCD's are top notch...nothing better. BT2 itself installed on the HD rocks because you can update/tweak it all once and be done - including the missing nessus component and all the aforementioned issues.

However, if we exclude 802.11...then my vote is for BT2. It is all around the best LiveCD out there - and I would take this moment to suggest supporting the project :)

Troy Robinson wrote:

Hi list,

I've had some experience with this of late so will throw in my 2cents.

First I'd like to include that Back|Track2 is awesome for Pen Testing, a
great range of tools, hardware support and ease of usability that I've never
seen in any other Live Security distros.

I've tried 4 different wireless cards on Back|Track2 with varying levels of
success.

Intel IPW3945ABG
Works fine, you need to manually load the driver each time if booting from
the CD which can be annoying. Doesn't support Packet Injection for WEP
cracking, but otherwise alright to use.

D-Link DWL-G650
A great card, utilizes the madwifi driver built into Back|Track2, cheap
card, supports packet injection. Only draw back is the range. Recommended
for the price conscious. Around $80 AUD

Cisco Aironet 350
Natively supported, recommended firmware 4.25.30 for dealing with WEP
decryption. From my understanding does not support Packet Injection. Nice
card however, 2 x MMCX connectors available for external aerials. Nice
sensitivity.
UbiQuiti SRC Range Max
Without a doubt the best card available IMHO. A massive 300mW power, comes
with 2 x MMCX connectors and now shipping standard with a 5dB aerial. Can
support OMNI and Directional at the same time. Uses the madwifi driver,
supports packet injection. Support for ABG networks. Great sensitivity.
Only draw back is the price, I managed to locate one for $220 AUD. If you
don't mind the money, then this is the only choice.

Offensive Security has a page for the full list.
http://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php?title=HCL:Wireless

Troy