Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Informing Companies about security vulnerabilities...

From: pand0ra <pand0ra.usa () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:47:17 -0600

The problem here is that he did not have permission to do what he did.
I don't go around my neighborhood checking the windows and doors of
every house to see if I can get in. It's none of my business. The
people who own the data (data owners) are the ONLY people who are
responsible for protecting their data. The problem here is that he
knowingly made an attack agains those systems without permission. That
is not 'stumbling' across a problem, he was actively looking for one.
I understand his intentions (that he did not intend to harm anyone and
was trying to help) but he did cross the line.
I hope nothing bad happens to either party and that Joseph learns from
this experience.

I disagree with you in that it does not matter "on the information
that can be retrieved via a vulnerable website". If you don't have
anything valuable in your house would you want people just walking in
because they can? Maybe even setting up a porn store in your house? Is
it their (everybody else's) responsability to go to every house to
make sure it is secured? But I do agree with you in that if you know
something is wrong that you should tell someone about the problem.

On 10/5/06, Andreas Putzo <putzoa () gmx de> wrote:
On Oct 04, pand0ra wrote:
> "You can try to set them an ultimatum pretending to disclose the holes
> to the public. Perhaps they are more willing to react if they are forced
> to do so."
>
> Ethically, that is bad. You should never force (or threaten) anyone
> into doing something they don't want to. I agree completely with Jay
> and Dan.

This depends greatly on the information that can be retrieved via a
vulnerable website IMHO.
What if you can get personal data of the customers of the company or
you can do financial harm to them? Then it would be unethical to do
nothing against it.
In general i agree with you that it is never nice to force someone to
do something.
However, i don't want to put this threat into a discussion ethical vs.
unethical behavior..

--
regards,
Andreas Putzo

Need to secure your web apps?
Cenzic Hailstorm finds vulnerabilities fast.
Click the link to buy it, try it or download Hailstorm for FREE.
http://www.cenzic.com/products_services/download_hailstorm.php?camp=701600000008bOW