Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: testing vulnerable web application.

From: josh.perrymon () packetfocus com
Date: 26 Jun 2006 23:08:18 -0000

Sounds like you have done a lot of work on the app w/o much success...
I know how you feel :)

What makes you think it has to be a SQL injection? Did you see any of this in the logs?
Usually it takes several tries to get the injection formatted properly.. This should create log entries and possibly
generate a lot of 500 messages when attempting the craft the SQL.

I would also back up a bit a look at other possibilities like an infrastructure hack or think  that the attacker
obtained valid credentials using a Social Engineering attack...  If they are using valid channels they will not leave a
lot of clues.

What about remote file inclusion exploit.. THis is becoming more and more pupular these days.. I'm guessing the BB is
probably .php so this is a good possibility the attackers could have used a remote shell like C99 or R57 shells...

Just some ideas...

Joshua Perrymon
CEO
Packet Focus
www.packetfocus.com

Concerned about Web Application Security?
Why not go with the #1 solution - Cenzic, the only one to win the Analyst's
Choice Award from eWeek. As attacks through web applications continue to rise,
you need to proactively protect your applications from hackers. Cenzic has the
most comprehensive solutions to meet your application security penetration
testing and vulnerability management needs. You have an option to go with a
managed service (Cenzic ClickToSecure) or an enterprise software
(Cenzic Hailstorm). Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can
help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php
And, now for a limited time we can do a FREE audit for you to confirm your
results from other product. Contact us at request () cenzic com for details.