Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Conducting Risk Assessment for VOIP and Thin Client

From: "Jezebel Ali" <jezebel_ali () hush com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:14:06 +0400

Good day esteemed brother Chris Hammer,

You may look at assessment in many way.  One: Capture voice traffic
from network and listen in on conversation.  Two: Compromise VoIP
servers.  Three: Bad configure telephones.

On capture voice traffic, usually there are one network reserved
for voice traffic.  Sometime one large organization may have one
network per floor or switch.  It may be possible to hop onto VLAN
by using 802.1q tagging.  Try first and sniff for VLAN traffic on
network using Ethereal.  Usually, also VoIP phones can request IP
address via DHCP.  If this is case, then after you have hopped onto
VLAN, use DHCP.  You will have to use intrusive technique of ARP
poison in order to capture voice traffic after.  I have used tool:
Voipong (http://www.enderunix.org/voipong/) It may difficult for
VLAN hop on MS Window environment, but perhaps your latest NIC
driver has capability.  Of course, if you able, then utilize Cain
(http://www.oxid.it/cain.html)   Perhaps utilize Ettercap for ARP
spoofing also.

On compromise server, it is simply case of perform VA and gain
access.  If you have time, it may be possible to see how server
handle bad packet VoIP signaling protocols.  Perhaps then you may
be able to crash or exploit server soft.  Also think DHCP starving
of server then issue own DHCP address.

On compromise bad phone, check phone device itself.  It may
possible that phone bad configured.  Check for listen-into
conversation capability.  Sometime supervisor has this ability.

It are many ways of playing with VoIP.  Enjoy.  Sorry my bad
english.

Kind regards,
Jez

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:40:04 +0400 Chris Hammer <CHammer () fcbnm com>