Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Covert Microphone Application

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:07:19 -0500

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 09:55 +0000, shiri_yacov () yahoo com wrote:
Hi all,
I have recently entered with my boss to our corp. conference room to
discover a new (shining) internet laptop on a side desk in the room.
During our chat I mentioned that the laptop has a builtin microphone
and therefore enables covert eavsdropping in case the laptop is
"ruled" from remote position, and therefore, a conference room PC
should have no builtin mic.
My sceptic boss replied instantly - "I challange you, bring me a
recording of any meeting - I`ll replace the laptop, and you`ll
receive
it."

I therefore need a small covert application (no need in process
hiding), which will record microphone input to file. command line
application is perfect.

Back in the Nineties I used a program called RecAll (v2.2) during
pentests and other ...uhm... situation where I wanted to record
conversations when I was out of the room. It's a small app that records
sound to wav and gsm formats when noise/voice levels reach a defined
threshold. Was a great little app.

Hey, look what Google found. It appears to be still alive (v 2.4) at
http://www.sagebrush.com.

Enjoy!
Frank

--