Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Pen-testing - pricing model

From: Chris Stromblad <chris () fragzone se>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:59:58 +0000

Hi list,

Those of you who work with this professionally, what sort of pricing model do you use? How do you assess what should be charged for the test? Considering the fact that there are many types of pen-tests and all have different scope. I'm having a hard time figuring out if the prices that has been given to me are reasonable.

Say I were to give you one of the following scenarios, what would you charge (roughly):

1. "Black box with shades of gray", 2 /24 networks, not all devices are active. External scan.

2. Internal scan, only devices

3. Internal scan, procedures, physical security and devices

I know this question is somewhat difficult to answer, because there is no correct answer, but any advice is welcome.

Cheers,
Chris