Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Penetration Testing - Human Factor

From: "K K Mookhey" <kkmookhey () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 01:57:09 +0530

Isn't it also about the fact that people are very hesitant to report
incidents where they've been taken for a ride, and more willing to admit
technical goof ups such as not applying a patch?

We've offered clients social engineering attacks as part of pen-tests,
and have found takers for these too. Having said that, I think
targeted financial fraud leveraging computer systems usually happens
with a very strong component of social engineering, whereas regular
hacking (with possible financial results) is usually almost purely
technical.

Just my 2c.

KK